Friday 15 June 2012

Sleek Makeup: Haul and Review

Hello lovely readers!
I have a makeup haul and review for you today!
I ordered some products from a UK company, Sleek Makeup. They are very popular with makeup junkies both in the UK and elsewhere. The makeup is reasonably priced and I had only heard good things before ordering so I was really excited to finally get it.


I got four products and spent enough to qualify for a little lipgloss. I got two eyeshadow palettes, a contour kit and a blush. The two eyeshadow palettes and the contour kit were all about $10. The blush was $6.50
Shipping was a flat rate of $10, which isn't bad because you can get as many things as you like and it's the same rate to ship. 


They didn't take too long to get to me either and nothing was broken, it was all in very good condition. I have to say the packaging with these products is really beautiful. Black, sleek compacts (hence the name I guess) extremely travel friendly.



So enough about all the details. Let's talk about the makeup!


I'll start with the eyeshadow palettes. This one is called the Oh So Special palette and it cost $10.50.
It ranges from light neutrals, and pinks to darker neutrals, metallic browns and plums and a very useful matte black.


The quality on this palette is great, the shadows are soft , easily blended and beautifully pigmented. If you're looking for a cheaper version of the Naked palette try this one (although this has more pink tones) or another palette from the company called Au Naturel I-Divine. I bought this one because despite being kind of a neutral palette is has some interesting pink and metallic shades that make it unique. 
I've used this almost everyday since getting it and it is remarkably versatile and really great for quick, easy looks when you don't have a lot of time. 


I have neutral palettes coming out of my ears. No, seriously, I have too many. So when I saw this palette I thought it would be great for summer. It's called the Sunset I-Divine palette and it's $10 (not sure why it's 50 cents cheaper than the other one, but whatever).

*Note- all Sleek palettes used to have shadows pressed with the waffle weave pattern you see above. But from what I hear they are phasing that out and making them all smooth like the shadows in the other palette I got. Just in case you were wondering why they looked different. 

This is going to be a repetitive post because I really loved this palette too. Just like the other palette, the shadows were amazingly pigmented and so soft and easy to work with! I wish I had better lighting so I could show you swatches. I can't wait to use this to create some really colourful looks this summer. The one negative I have to say about this palette is that the second and third shadows in both the top and bottom row swatch to be quite similar. These four shadows look different in the palette but swatched, they show up very similarly. Also, it should be noted that every colour in this palette is very shimmery or metallic except the black shade which is matte. This didn't bother me at all, but I figured I should mention it for those who prefer mattes.

Note: Revlon products in the corner put aside for
photographing for a future blog post!
This is definitely my favourite of everything I got from Sleek makeup! I fell in love with this Face Contour Kit in Medium. I have long looked for a reasonably priced, matte bronzer which I could use to contour my face. As it turns out, it was hopeless in Canadian drugstores and I had almost settled on buying a powder foundation that was darker than my skin but then I got this and it is perfect! The compact has a contour shade and a highlighting shade.

Don't you just love my child's flower lamp? Lol I actually recently took
it down and put up a corkboard with pictures.
It's not often that I can find a product dark enough to contour my face but I was actually the medium shade in this kit. Do your research (youtube is probably best) before purchasing this so you can see which shade is best for you. They even make a "dark" shade as well so finally darker skinned beauties can contour for a reasonable price as well! I have used this everyday since I got it and it's honestly one of my favourite makeup items in my whole collection right now (and that's saying something, considering the size of my collection). The highlight shade is beautiful and not glittery at all. It just provides a nice sheen on your skin, giving it a healthy glow. And the contour shade is perfect for contouring and slimming your face. It is a somewhat more warm-toned than most contour shades you'll see, but I actually love that about it. Some people however may not- fair warning.


And finally the blush! This is in the shade Coral and it cost $6.50. The picture on the website makes it look much darker than it is, which again is why research before purchasing is always a good idea. I had already done my research and knew that this colour was much lighter than pictured and that I would probably like it. This blush is one of the most pigmented blushes I own. It's obviously a true coral-orange colour and it looks great especially on my darker skin. I will be using this often this summer. If you purchase- be warned. These are VERY pigmented, I'm not kidding. Be very careful when applying and start out with very little product on the brush. It's way easier to add more blush than to try and take some off. 

Overall
I am impressed with Sleek Makeup! I really enjoy everything I got in my order and with the help of some research, I got things I can see myself using for a very long time! I am especially in love with the Contour Kit. It's smooth, blendable and works great with my skin tone. It's nice to finally see an affordable makeup company that caters to all women including women of colour. While I'm aware CoverGirl does the "Queen" collection, endorsed by Queen Latifah made for women of colour, I've never once seen it anywhere in a Canadian drugstore, so that doesn't help me. Canadian and US companies should pay attention because it's extremely frustrating that in a country as diverse as Canada, I have to go overseas for something as small as this. I would definitely order from Sleek Makeup again, especially considering shipping is reasonable and everything arrived promptly and in mint condition. I've heard wonderful things about their pout paints (liquid lipsticks) and maybe I will try them some time in the future!

Hope you all enjoyed this post. I have a similar haul and review of a couple things I recently got from TheBalm coming up!
Thanks for reading.
-Tash <3

3 comments:

  1. Can you give me the link for the site where you ordered these?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gowry, sure! http://www.sleekmakeup.com
      Everything I got was on there. Everything is linked in the post too, but some aren't working for some reason, I'll try to fix them. Thanks for reading love! :)

      Delete
    2. I've only recently started buying from sleek but now I love it , first thing I got was the contour and high light kit, its so good! For ages I was looking for a cheapish matte dark brown contour powder because I fake tan and i like a dark contour but everything else wasn't dark enough!

      Delete