Wednesday 9 March 2011

Topless and Barefoot - Essie Nailpolish Review

I always hear wonderful things about Essie nail polish, including that it's an affordable drugstore brand, it applies easily and it has a wide colour selection. I've been on the hunt recently to find a great nude nail polish- something very subtle.I was in a Shoppers the other day and there was a display for the Spring 2011 Essie nail polish collection. It's called "French Affair" and I picked up a colour to review called "Topless and Barefoot".

It's strange, because my initial reaction was that I really didn't like the consistency of this nail polish. It was thick and somewhat ... gloopy? Compared to an OPI colour- it was much more difficult to apply. It was harder to correct mistakes. It took forever to dry. And getting a second coat on was almost impossible.
But once I actually DID get it on (looking decent enough to leave the house) I was in love.
Wearing a nude colour like this makes your hands look much longer and leaner. You don't have to worry about your nail polish clashing with anything (not that I ever really take that into consideration).
It's the perfect nude, winter colour. But it's not so washed out as to make your hands look zombie-like.

After about a week or so it started to chip and I have to sit down and put in the effort of fixing it. But ever since I purchased this I haven't been able to wear anything else on my nails- even though I got a Sephora order in with 3 new nail polished to try (read: reviews and pictures coming eventually).

The colour selection is magnificent as promised and I love the way the colours in their new collection look together. One thing, which actually didn't surprise me, was that these are damned expensive in Canada. My butt "drugstore brand" and "affordable"- these cost $11.99 a bottle at shoppers drug mart. An OPI bottle (which mind you is much bigger than this bottle as well) costs about $12.50 at Sephora.
Seriously? 0.50 cent difference?

So as for the list above- at my count, Essie is only 1/3
Despite all that, this colour is just so worth it. Still don't regret it.

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading,
Tash <3

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tasha, Essie is by far one of my favorite nail polish brands on the market. The price isn't too bad and the colour selection is very extensive. The color I'm totally in love with right now is Essie Big Spender It's a great color for spring. All of my girlfriends were impressed on how long my polish lasted and how they did not chip.

    ReplyDelete