Monday 16 July 2012

Comparison/Review: Bronze-Gold Cream Eyeshadows!

Hello everyone!
Isn't summer beautiful? Not if you love makeup.
Summer is my favourite season, but you literally cannot wear any makeup some days or it will just melt right off your face. Unless you're one of the lucky few who work in an air conditioned area- you might as well skip makeup altogether.
EXCEPT I'm a nut and can't do that. So one my favourite ways to get an easy, lightweight, simple, polished eye look in the summer using little to no effort are cream eyeshadows!
They great for those quick looks to get you out the door in the morning or you're just too hot and bothered to fuss with powder shadows, brushes, blending etc.
So in this post I'm going to do a high end and drugstore comparison review of bronze/gold cream bases that can be used on their own or under shadow.


Left: Maybelline Color Tattoo in #25 "Bad to the Bronze" -Generally around $10
Right: MAC Paint Pot in "Indianwood" -$20



The packaging on these products is incredibly similar. So much that when I was putting the lids back on after photographing this post, I switched the lids and put the wrong ones back on the pots and almost didn't even notice! Both are are in glass pots. great quality and very solid. Can't complain about the packaging of either product.



These bases look incredibly similar in the pots but look very different when swatched (as you'll see soon-- I thought these would be colour dupes but they definitely are not). 
Both are creamy and glide on effortlessly. Both stay all day, no creasing or fading which is impressive for a cream product in this kind of heat. I have especially oily eyelids so I always use an eyelid primer (Urban Decay Primer Potion) anyway and I would suggest you do the same if you notice you have shiny lids as well. But even without a primer (I tested both) they last about 5-6 hours before they start to fade.


There are subtle differences between these creams. The MAC paint pot is a metallic finish while the Maybelline color tattoo is shimmery. What's the difference? Glad you asked, you're so curious- you know I love that about you.
You can see in the picture on the left (color tattoo) that the light is refelected by shimmery particles within the cream. While the on the right (MAC which looks darker than it is in this picture, sorry) is extremely reflective without being able to see definite particles of shimmer. It's more a more even and natural looking shine I guess you could say. 
Swatches? Oh gosh, you know me so well.

Top: MAC "Indianwood"
Bottom: Maybelline "Bad to the Bronze"

Like I said, obviously they are not colour dupes. The MAC is a much more true gold while the Maybelline has more taupe and (not surprisingly) bronze undertones. 

Left: Bad to the Bronze
Right: Indianwood

Overall
Considering both products perform the same for me- creamy, pigmented and long-lasting plus the packaging is almost identical- I would have to say skip the MAC. It's twice as expensive and it has no benefit over the Maybelline Color Tattoos that I can see except that there are only two matte colours in the Maybelline line. The MAC paint pots are made to be used more like a base than worn alone (although they can be) so there are more matte shades. 
Don't get me wrong, I love my MAC paint pots, like the famous "Painterly" which is amazing and I use it every day as a base under my eyeshadow. But I mean, these Maybelline Color Tattoos are awesome, extremely similar and half the price, so if you haven't already invested in the MAC you might as well go for those.
Not to mention there are some crazy awesome colours in the Maybelline line! The MAC ones are all mostly browns, black and creamy nude colours but there are so many more colours with the Maybelline ones.
My favourites are a electric teal (Tenacious Teal), a shimmery emerald green (Edgy Emerald) and a bright fiery orange (Fierce and Tangy) along with a matte, neutral grey-taupe colour (Tough as Taupe). 

I will do a post shortly on how I use either of these bronze/gold bases and a very bright liner for a quick easy summer look!
As always, thanks for reading!
-Tash<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment