Saturday 26 November 2011

MAC Holiday Collections: Haul, Photos and Review!

Hello again friends!
Today is the day! What day? The day I review the items I have gotten so far from the MAC holiday collections. I have 2 palettes from the "Ice Parade" collection and one paint pot from the "Glitter and Ice" collection (however there are a few that are on my Christmas wishlist so that may change). The quality is great on all these items but I thought it would be a good idea to show some pictures and review them a little more in detail.

*Side note: I cannot do swatches yet. I just don't have the right lighting conditions and I'm never free to take the pictures when there is still enough natural light. So swatches are a work in progress for now. 


All the palettes have a little snowglobe on top!!!


From left to right: 6 Snowglobe Eyeshadow Palette in "Warm", paint pot in "Let's skate" 
and the "Festive Frost Face Kit"
Left side: Winterscape, Patina, Gaelic Gold
Right Side: Magical Mist, Buckwheat, Midnight Flurry
I quite enjoy this palette. It's definitely great for every day use, as it's filled with neutrals. My favourite shade in the palette is "Gaelic Gold", it has to be one of the most unique golds I have ever come across. I also like that this palette includes "Patina" which is actually in the permanent collection. Patina is hard to describe, it's kind of a taupey-brown which makes it a great neutral.

My only complaint would be about the top left shadow "Winterscape" while in the pan it looks beautiful- it comes off rather chalky and that makes it hard to work with.





Firstly, I have to say I'm bias with this one, because I truly love MAC paint pots. I have "Indianwood" and  I use it daily. They never crease on me, they last all day and they're super pigmented and creamy which makes them easy to work with.

So when I saw that the holiday collection included some new limited edition colours I knew I was going to pick one up. "Let's Skate!" looks pink in the glass pot but actually comes off more white with a gold iridescence.

The important thing to mention about this product though, is not the colour but that it has a TON of sparkle in it. Not shimmer or shine- legitimate glittery sparkle. I can already tell that this would put most people off, but that friends, is a mistake. I just touch my finger in it and spread across my lid- instantly makes any shadow brighter. Or use it for night and pack it on. But it's something to think about because the sparkle can make it a little more difficult to use regularly.

Left: Once Upon a Time, Expensive Pink
Right: Below Zero, Embark

Blush: Buff

This may be my favourite item that I own from the holiday collection. It's great for doing your makeup quickly because every shadow you need to create a look is included. A nice light colour for the lid, a bronze for the crease, a pink to warm up the look and a really dark brown to intensify the outer edge. I should mention that "Embark" and "Expensive Pink" are permanent collection colours. (I actually wore expensive pink to my prom!)

The packaging is unique, which I like. The eyeshadow quad slides over to reveal a blush underneath. At first I didn't think I would like this blush, but it's gorgeous. A pinky-nude that just blends right into my skin, perfect for avoiding the "racing stripes" blush look (not pretty). 

Overall Impressions:
As always the pigmentation on these is great, the same as the regular, permanent collection stuff. I found a new love with that blush (I will have to find out if it's limited edition, if it is, I will be sad). 
It is true that the packaging is a little too over the top and bulky with this collection. Personally, I love the snowglobes on the front (they're totally fun to play with). They only stick out maybe 1 cm over the top of the palette, however, I would still be very wary of travelling with these. Because that if one of those breaks- that is a HUGE mess to clean up.

Just a Few Things...
  • These pictures took forever! Appreciate people.
  • AHH only one more week of school for me, so excited to be off and spend some time with my family!
  • Hopefully soon I can find the time to blog some Christmas looks soon.
  • Also going to do a wishlist blog post soon! Hopefully Jon reads it... 
  • Also expect a Luxebox blog post soon, LOVE luxebox 
  • Currently reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and I'm about halfway through. Not seeing what all the hype is about. It's a little boring actually. Hunger Games still miles and miles better. 
  • I would love a nice warm cup of tea right now but my dawg is sitting on my feet and I don't want to disturb him

No comments:

Post a Comment